How do you safely dispose of a laptop?
We’ve outlined the steps we recommend you take below.
- Delete and overwrite sensitive files.
- Turn on drive encryption.
- Deauthorize your computer.
- Delete your browsing history.
- Uninstall your programs.
- Consult your employer about data disposal policies.
- Wipe your hard drive.
- Or physically damage your hard drive.
Can you throw away a computer?
If you choose to recycle your laptop, reach out to your local electronics recycler and ask about drop-off policies. As a last resort, throw your old laptop away with your garbage. However, be aware that throwing computers into local landfills is not legal in every city.
What do you do with old laptops?
Here’s What To Do With That Old Laptop
- Recycle It. Instead of dumping your laptop in the trash, look for electronic collection programs that will help you recycle it.
- Sell It. If your laptop is in good condition, you can sell it on Craiglist or eBay.
- Trade It.
- Donate It.
- Turn It Into A Media Station.
Does Best Buy take old laptops?
You can still continue to recycle electronics like phones, laptops, tablets and more for free at our stores. Best Buy is the nation’s largest collector of recyclable electronics and appliances.