How to Charge a Laptop Battery for the First Time
- Insert the battery into the battery slot of your laptop if it didn’t come with the battery already inserted.
- Plug your laptop into a power source and allow the battery to charge to 100%.
- Discharge the battery fully.
- Recharge your battery fully again.
- Repeat the calibration process two or three more times.
How many hours should a new laptop battery be charged?
After purchasing a new laptop computer or battery for your laptop, we recommend the battery be charged for no less than 24-hours. A 24-hour charge makes sure the battery is fully charged and helps with the battery’s life expectancy. Once it is fully charged, you should not discharge it fully, if possible.
Should you charge a new laptop for 8 hours?
There is a public belief that, every new battery must held to charge for at least eight hours before the first use. The 8-hour charging trick was appropriate for older model (NiCd and NiMH) batteries. But Li-ion batteries (which we use in laptops and smartphones) DON’T need this 8 hour long initial charging.
Should I charge my new laptop battery before using it?
First time charging my laptop before using it:
When you buy a new laptop or a new battery for your laptop, it is guided that battery should be charged for not less than 24 hours. If you discharged the batteries fully, after charging them, it makes them strained and may weaken the battery.
How do you break in a new laptop battery?
How to Break in a New Laptop Battery
- Unbox your new laptop and plug it in. While it is plugged in, try to avoid using it so that it can get the best and fullest charge possible.
- Remove your laptop from the AC power adapter.
- Place your computer back on the charger.
- Drain the battery completely.
- Repeat this process one more time.